Monday, August 21, 2017

Camping Adventure for Everyone

The years Kent spent as scoutmaster had fueled romantic images of camping in my children's minds.  I was able to avoid most trips either due to pregnancy of having a young enough child that would cry at unseemly hours and keep the neighbors and all of nature awake.  When our initial plans to visit friends in Vegas fell through the kids pushed for the first whole family campout.  Annually our congregation has a campout in the cool near Flagstaff.  I grudgingly agreed and proceeded to borrow the needed materials.  We told ourselves it would be an opportunity to see how Bubby would do in a totally new environment.  With that thought I think my adrenaline levels were in the red before we even arrived.

Autistic individuals crave routine and familiarity.  With the unknown there are so many possible sensory sources that could put them on the defensive and withdraw into their own world.  This video really helps explain it and is one of the many reasons we've chosen to homeschool Bubby.



We had been entertaining thoughts of purchasing a pop-up tent trailer to provide that familiarity while being able to travel on a budget but had yet to see what the little man might do when only nature surrounded him.  As soon as we arrived he was running off through the trees and up steep hills, only to beg us to carry him when he tired out.  Setting up camp and feeding kiddos happened as Kent and I alternated watching for this adventurous little guy.  The other three happily hung out with their peers  and enjoyed hikes, pine ball and all things in nature - sticks, bugs and squirrels.



Safely observing the fire that would not produce enough smores for this little girl to eat!





Once the tents were set up Bubby spent a considerable amount of time inside ours doing those things that were familiar and brought him comfort.  I napped by the door way, glad for some time to just sit.  Once he was rested he was at it again but was more anxious, hitting and gnawing on anything he could get his hands on.

I opted to sleep in a separate tent with Bubby so that the others might get a good night's sleep.  It was not the most comfortable arrangement but when he began his whimpering in his sleep, I was there to comfort him. We had considerable rain and at one point I  had to shift us so that the drops of rain wouldn't land like water torture on my forehead for the whole of the night.  I don't think that this 42yr old body can survive another night like that and I promptly informed Kent of it the next morning.   Bubby emerged with many sighs when he saw he wasn't magically transported back to the comfort of home but he took it all in stride.

Pumpkin had found a new 'best friend'!



Everyone did have some fun in the end, but it is clear to everyone that both Bubby and I won't come again until we have something more solid, familiar and comfortable to sleep in.  Given time I'm sure Bubby will adjust to a tent trailer but my body is much too use to the comforts of home!

No comments:

Post a Comment