Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Cussing and the Natural Man

Isaac and I had a little incident today that makes me wonder about the origins of cussing. Certain choices lead to a disciplinary action that involved tossing out some of his Easter candy. Being the sugar deprived household we are, this was the cause of a major uproar - yelling, screaming and kicking ensued. At some point, Isaac's frustration and anger reached a level he felt he had to express. He opened his door, stomped out of his room and with a guttural yell said, "BOO YOU!!!!" and then slammed the door.

I was a little stunned, in part because it was one of the most forceful expressions I have yet seen him say. But on the other hand, I couldn't help but smile, since the worst word he seems to think of at such a heated pitch was 'boo'. Clearly he was 'cussing' me out on some level and so part of me wanted to address it and the other part of me was just grateful that he still had the innocence to not know of any real cuss words. In the end I just let it go. I'm sure a real cuss word will issue forth at a latter date - heaven help me when it does. Until then, I don't want to have to say more than I need to. ;0)


Here's the sweetie doing more innocent things with his mouth!

1 comment:

  1. I also love the innocence. What a great mother you are!

    And good for you for providing a "sugar deprived household" for your family--it is not an easy thing to do!

    ReplyDelete