Sunday, October 20, 2013

Fall Festival Fun!

It's holiday season again and one of the best parts of it is all the activities there are that allow us to connect up to other families who have loved ones with DS. The desert botanical garden hosted a Pumpking Harvest Festival during the week that Keila, Eli and I were able to attend. Keila loved the games and the petting zoo but especially the little baby pumpkins she picked out to take home. Eli tried out a game or two as well and took a mile curiosity to the animals. Mostly he enjoyed being held by me and interacting with other kids.

Greeting Gina! The little girl next to him is a match the mother in the background thought would be so fun for the future!

This shot makes me laugh, he would wave on his own to other children, mostly those who had DS as if to say, "Yo wasup my brother from another mother!"


This shot was with the help of CJ's mom, the young man next to me. He's ten and he went from major sensory issues (yes, even with sand) to loving it! His mom couldn't drag him away!




"Mom's busy, quick get the glasses off!"


During that same week there was a Carnival hosted by one of the stakes of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. It was so fun to have the whole family there. We were amply feed between hot dogs, ice cream, cotton candy and candy apples. They even had fruit there and you better believe I stuffed them with as much as I could before allowing all those other goodies! The games were fun as we're the prizes.

Ice cream makes the world go 'round in our family! Especially Blue Bell!

Eli's personal favorite was the music. His favorite toys either play songs or its the keyboard. He always makes me smile as he sways and wiggles to the songs. It was no different here, the live band wasn't too loud and he happily danced with kent and I for most of the evening. There was plenty of participation and some very enthusiastic dances that night!



While at the activities Kent and I got to chat with other parents. It's a reminder to me how very blessed we are. We're blessed that aside from aspiration issues, Eli is an extremely healthy boy. Many of these others children had heart surgeries at four months and often more than one not to mention those who dealt with Lukemia. I love that I can glean ideas for helping along his development and sensory issues from experienced moms as well as cheer each other on when we can say, he's starting to walk! No matter our challenges we all love these children and the joy and perspective they bring. Success, patience and true strength are lessons we learn through these people and I wouldn't change them for the world!

1 comment:

  1. Flo, you have to see the video Philip (my husband) made of the Family Fun Fair. The video is amazing & had everyone in RS in tears today. It's on vimeo:

    https://vimeo.com/77473036

    Love ya,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete