Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Gratitude for the Big Things (and Small Things)

ABF brings the moving truck today and as I've been preparing, I've felt a sense of gratitude for the changes this year that will make the move so much better. Last year this time, Isaac was only 3 weeks old. I had a very difficult labour (4 hrs of hard pushing - someone got stuck!) and was rather overwhelmed and enamoured by the whole initiation into motherhood. One moment I'd be thinking, "God has given me a miracle - what an incredible joy!", the next thing it would be, "What the heck have I gotten myself into!" We had no family help (Kent's family were too far away)and we were very dependant on Bellair ward (which I still think is one of the best wards I've ever been blessed to be a part of!) I thought I had packed everything as much as I could before labour, but I was wrong. Thankfully we had friends to help pack and load, feed us. On our way out to Albuquerque, Kent got sick, so he unloaded our boxes living on Gatorade for over a 48 hour period. I helped as much as I could with a screaming newborn. We were both sleep deprived and mentally and emotionally exhausted.

This year, I've truely packed everything I could beforehand and have even cooked meals to last us through this few days before we leave Thursday. Isaac is 13 months old and is such an angel, allowing me the time to pack and clean while he plays on his own. As long as I spend quality time with him for 10-15 mins every 2 hours, he does great! We're headed to an area where we already know people who are willing to help us unload and best of all, Kent and I are not sleep deprived. This will be a much better experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment