Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy 4th of July

I tried writing Happy USA Day, but it just wasn't right. Maybe it's the Canadian in me, but what other country uses the date to signify the birth of it's nation? Now that I have all my Canadian friends cheering (score one for non-USA people) and my American friends questioning my loyalty (maybe she's really Communist!) I hope to explain my strong love for both countries without further offense ...

I remember clearly watching the TV and all the events of Tienanmen Square. It made such an impact upon me that I wrote a poem about the cost for the rarity of freedom and liberty. I see the blessing of it in so many ways, in my country, in my eduction, in who I am and what I enjoy. While I was born in the US, I grew up in Canada and both countries have contributed so much to my life - Canada for it's richness in culture and people, the USA for it's powerful sense of unity and strength - that I call both places home. I never fail to get a little teary eyed when either national anthems are sung.

In celebration of these the Independence of both countries (July 1 for Canada, July 4 for USA) Kent and I planned an outing out to the mountains to enjoy the cool air. I can't begin to describe how refreshing it was to be able to sit outside without sweating copious amounts of water! The sky was just slightly overcast for some of the most beautiful lighting for pictures. Isaac loved everything about it, especially the chance to throw rocks into a cold mountain stream. The simple joys of a free country.




1 comment:

  1. It is often called Independence Day, which I know is still a bit pretentious because there is no indicator of whose independence it is, but it's a tiny bit less so than 4th of July. Although, Cinco de Maio runs into similar problems.

    ReplyDelete