Monday, April 26, 2010

Little Body - Lotta Spirit!

Keila has shown such personality this last little while that it's a wonder her body can contain such spirit. The other day I sat her down to play on the floor in Isaac's room. She's rather methodical in her approach to new toys, taking a great deal of time to examine and turn it over in her hands and then tentatively test it out with her tongue and teeth. She can do this for over a half hour with a single new specimen and to some she might seem like she lacks the vibrant nature of her brother. Don't be deceived! When Isaac finally notice she had the toy in her mouth, he snatched it out of her hands and told her, "No, No Keila! Yucky!" I watched as her expression changed from surprise, (Hey, where did my toy go?) to shock, (how dare you!), and then outrage. The final was loudly expressed in what I can only take as her lecture to her brother (Yehhh.... Na, na, na ,NAAAA, Yeah ....) Which continues unabated for over 20 mins. Even when we left the room she was still muttering and everytinme he had the misfortune of being in her presence she let him know she was still displeased. On the other hand, there is no one else but Isaac that can make her roar with laughter. Either way, she definitely has a passionate reaction to her brother.

We also began sign language with her about a month ago just with eating food. I'm not sure how much she understands, but the grabbing motion of 'want' is more than obvious when you ask if she would like to eat Cheerios. She just lights up and both hands are moving quickly as if she can't contain her excitement. She loves food but is highly frustrated that she can't eat everything we eat. The few times she sits in my lap when I'm eating dinner, has her reaching for everything. With each successive 'no' from me, she starts to yell, and arch her back. There have been several times when she twists around and with both hands grabs at my mouth and tries to sneak her tiny fingers between my teeth. Obviously I place her back into her highchair where she's sure to tell you how unfair life is.

But along with all this is the other sweet side that just melts you like butter. She shows her love by leaning in on you with her head, something she's done several times to Isaac as we try and wake him from his nap. When I sing to her, she likes to tuck her head under my chin and suck on her two fingers while she listens to your heartbeat. She is my cuddle-bug and it is Mama that she loves to cuddle the most. We joke about how much she's a tease and a flirt with her off the shoulder smile while ducking her head just so, but my favorite is when she looks up at me with her big serious eyes and you watch a smile grow slowly within them till it light ups her entire face. When she's sure you've seen her happiness she'll nestle up again in my arms. No matter what the life brings, may we as mother and daughter always be able to love just so at the end of day.

No comments:

Post a Comment