Monday, August 18, 2008

Hmm,Hmm Good!

I just have so say - I'm so proud of myself!!!! I had a bit of free time and after visiting Wendy and Steve in Arizona, I had to try her bread recipe. Now I've done alot of breads but have always been hesitant of wheat breads. They always seemed to turn out crumbly and dry, but Wendy had made incredible bread for us, so I had hope. In addition, I had a wheat grinder I had yet to use, so I dug it out of storage and when all was said and done, this was the result:



Fresh bread, nutty and moist at only a fraction of the cost. Tomorrow I'm making a Tarragon Chicken Salad to go with it! Hmmm, hmmmm. :0) Here's the recipe:
Wheat Bread

1 C warm water
4 T yeast
1/4 t sugar
Stir and let these sit to rise in a small bowl

In mixer add:

4 C warm water
1 1/2 C sugar
3/4 C oil
1 C grain cereal (ex. - 9 grain mix - very grainy)
Let soak 5 - 10 minutes in mixer. Then add yeast mixture. Then add the following:

2 1/2 T salt
12 C whole wheat flour
2 C white flour
(you can vary the ratio of whole wheat to white)

Knead dough until gluten forms. Approximately 15 minutes with a bread mixer. Place dough in a large greased bowl and cover with oiled saran wrap. Place dough to rise in the oven with the light on. The heat from the light is enough to help it rise. Let rise until double. Place into greased bread pans. I usually make 4 large loaves. Let rise until double. Bake in 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. The higher temp for a shorter period of time seems to produce a more moist loaf of bread.

1 comment:

  1. Yummy. I love homemade bread. I love anything homemade. It just taste better.

    ReplyDelete