Thursday, March 8, 2012

34 Weeks

I'm not too sure how I feel about my cervix being dubbed the Rock of Gibraltar, but that's how the doctor feels. No more dilation but this child could not sit any lower. The doctor has offered certain sleeping pills to help and on and off I take a small dose of acetaminophen when the pain it too much. Unfortunately the niphedipine that is used to stop contractions is causing swelling in my arms and legs - a whole new experience for me. I've decided chubby hands and feet ought to be left to toddlers and babies, it's definitely NOT cute on any adult!

1. I'm grateful this week that my other pregnancies were a piece of cake in comparison. The symptoms so common to other women were absent or minimal in my other pregnancies. I suppose I can look on this as giving me greater empathy. Don't you wish empathy could be learned in a less painful way?! ;0)

2. I'm grateful for computers and the Internet. I don't know how I would keep my children well occupied without it, let alone myself. I feel rather cut off stuck in my home for so many hours of the day. I've never been one to call people often, but the emails, facebook contact, etc help to ease the loneliness. In addition Isaac has really grown to love reading on a whole different level. It's one things to sound out words with mom, but another when it's done in a game. I love PBS kids.org and especially Word World and Super Why. Keila has also jumped leaps and bounds with her knowledge of the ABCs. The school district in our area uses Starfall.com and she loves looking up the different letters and hearing the sounds. Best of all she's begun pointing them out whenever she sees them.



3. I'm grateful for a small house. It's funny, but there is so much less cleaning and no matter where I'm stuck, the kids always hear my voice and I always hear what's going on.

4. I'm grateful for work. There is so very little I can do nowadays without setting off contractions (with our without the niphedipine) that I've come to realize there is much to be said for how work helps an individuals self esteem, no matter how menial. At the end of the day it's nice to be able to say you've accomplished something and now I've learned to make those measurements in other ways. I still have cravings for my Chinese food, so I've learned to be happy when I can cut up veggies one day, cut up and marinate the meat on another and finally cook it all together on another day. My pace is so much slower, but I can do something which is a whole lot better than nothing.

The weeks and days are dreadfully long, but they are passing. Just a few more days and I'll be in the safe zone. I laugh (and cry) at the ironic thought that this kiddo will go to full term. Whatever it be, at least I know he'll be at his best in only a few more days.

1 comment:

  1. Flo... you are such a neat woman. Let me know if I can help at all.

    ReplyDelete