Monday, April 6, 2009

Disney World Day 4

I know this is rather drawn out for you all, but this blog is very much a family journal, so forgive the endless details of the trip.

The following day was the last day of conference. The Animal Kingdom just about killed me, so I opted for something a little quieter. We had a voucher for one free adult pass to miniature golf. I didn't have to pay for Isaac ... so what the heck!! The set up was darling and Isaac was thrilled to have a ball and stick - of sorts! Such a boy!




Isaac really was a trouper, trying hard to play using the club but after a while he just couldn't see the point of it and would simply drop the ball by hand into the next hole. He also couldn't see why Mama kept insisting on doing it the 'hard way', so he helped me out a couple of times by saving me the grief of using a club.





For those thinking of a trip to Disney World, the Mousesavers website was a great help. I found coupons, money saving tips and ideas. One of them was the fact that at a Downtown Disney store, you paid $20 for a box filled with Mr. Potato Head parts. Of course if you didn't have body, that pretty much took up your twenty. We bought one for $5 beforehand and packed it with us, then we just loaded up on parts. They had things to turn him into a Darth Vader, Buzz Lightyear, pirate, Ariel, Cruela Devil. Isaac just loves the toy!



Okay, so I'm going to get on my soapbox for a moment, after all, this is my blog and I'll say what I want to. ;0) We had a $15 voucher for Planet Hollywood and thought we'd take advantage of it. Being this was Downtown Disney and I saw tons of children around, I didn't expect the experience we got. First off, the place was so crowded that you barely had an inch between your chair and the person at the next table. You can imagine being pregnant created some difficulties ... okay, so it was the parting of the sea of people! Beep, beep, watch for on coming belly! And I'm really not all that large yet! This was difficult because of the number of times I had to get up, ie. to use the potty, wash hands, etc.

If that was all my complaints that would be minor. I know the place is a tribute to the movies, but what I can't understand is why there was absolutely NO place you could turn without a massive screen facing you. It wouldn't be so bad, but for the material they were showing. It was most definitely NOT PG-13 material, both in the movie scenes and particularly from the music videos. Not only that, the sound was so loud we had to yell at each other and our waiter to be heard.

The final blow was upon entering the bathroom. One would hope that it would be a place where a person might do their business in private ... An individual sat on a chair by the sinks talking on their cell phone. When I got in, they quickly got off the phone and waited for me to wash my hands so they could hand me a paper towel. Next to them was a plate with money on it. Had Kent not warned me in advance, I would have been so bewildered by the whole thing. Apparently this individual was there offering a service and expected me to pay. Can you imagine what their resume must say: Towel Dispenser at Planet Hollywood. Don't they automate those things now? How are your hands any cleaner than mine? I know I'm pregnant, but I really think grabbing my own paper towel won't strain me. Planet Hollywood is still a far cry from an upper class restaurant ... it's chain for heavens sakes! Needless to say I didn't tip, after all, it was hassle enough to get me and my belly there, let alone haul my purse. The lady gave a rather exaggerated sigh. Sorry to be rude, but I didn't ask for it and I think she needs to get a real job. I'm seriously considering writing them a letter of complaint.

With that out of my system ....that evening we went to another Disney Resort that hosts a Campfire sing-a-long with Chip and Dale. It's free and a great way to meet a character without horrendous lines. Isaac just loved wandering around pick up rocks and sticks. The area was beautiful.




They set up a fire for making smores and you can purchase everything there. But being the frugal Asian I am, I pack everything in advance! This was Isaac's first experience with marshmallows. DEFINITELY positive!




Prior to this, all characters were seen from a distance. I was a little apprehensive for Isaac in meeting one up close, but to our surprise, he hopped down to give Chip a big hug. The last thing I wanted was one of those forced pictures ... you know the one with the red-faced kid screaming for terror next to a giant Mickey with the caption: A Magical Day at Disney. Really it's more for the parents than the kid. I'm glad Isaac enjoyed it himself. On our boat ride back to our hotel we caught the fireworks from the Magic Kingdom.



For those who know us well, up until the last few months Kent and I haven't bothered with basic cable much less anything else since he started school. We just don't have the time and couldn't bother spending the money. So we have absolutely no idea where this came from. I don't know if Isaac felt the need to unwind from the frightening 'boom-booms' we saw on the way home, or what, but the kid scurried into the bed, grabbed the remote, made sure the pillow as behind him and got "Cozy" as he says and turned on the TV. Note the glazed expression on his face. Is this genetic? How did he know which button to push?

No comments:

Post a Comment